Friday, January 16, 2015

BMW=awesome! BMW Financial Services - reputation risk :(

While my intent for Mountain i3 is to be focused on performance (and misadventures) of daily EV driving in a mountain environment, I can't help but share just a bit about the phone call that I just had with BMW Financial Services - it was both frustrating and comedic.. when viewed through the right glasses.

As a disclaimer - I know that there is a disposition fee ($350) at the end of a BMW lease... I'm not claiming that I was ignorant and should therefore be forgiven. I always remember learning the Latin phrase "ignorantia legis non excusat" as a young child helping his Mom to study for her degree as a legal secretary. 

At any rate - I called BMW FS because I received the lease disposition bill which also included a number of excessive wear charges for the BMW 335xi that I returned immediately prior to our recent i3 purchase. This took me particularly off-guard as the representatives at my local BMW dealer remarked about what a well appointed car our particular i3 was and also noted the great condition even after three years of extensive driving (on many mtn roads, no less). Without prompting they told me there would be no issues. Though the BMW FS representative was very hard to understand, he basically chastised me for thinking that the car was in good condition and, when I inquired about the role of the excessive wear coverage that I purchased at the beginning of the lease, told me a in a very rapid and condescending tone that I'd need to take that up with the 3rd party insurance company and I ought to know that. This, of course, leaves me very dissatisfied. Besides thoroughly enjoying the performance and comfort of BMW automobiles, a primary reason for my continued business is the excellent service and support that I have literally experienced at every turn over the last seven years... until now.

Of note - my local BMW dealer - Gebhardt BMW - is a pillar of service, support and positive experiences. Both the sales (Kory, Brandon) and service (Bill - you rock) are both professional and a pleasure.

Since I was on the phone with captain rudeness, I decided to ask him about the disposition fee. I noted that I just purchased a <$ exact amount omitted - expensive) experimental vehicle from BMW that, though great so far, is still a risk - and that I showed my confidence in BMW by fully purchasing the vehicle. He said that he could only do me the courtesy of waiving the fee if I continued to "do business with BMW." Of course, this was the wrong thing to say - I quickly pointed-out that I'm not only still doing business but I have invested and see myself as partnering with BMW given the unique nature of the i3. He quickly corrected himself and said that he could only "do me the courtesy if I continued to do business with BMW Financial Services." I asked for an escalation path and he told me that he was a senior manager - I respectfully expressed my concern for the customer service habits he was then modeling for others in his organization. I once again calmly expressed that I was disappointed that my recent investment was of no interest to BMW FS and he basically told me that the loans are all that matter to him.

I'm obviously paraphrasing and, again, I'm not debating whether I am obligated to pay for at least part of the bill I received... I just expected a higher quality experience. I'm still proud to be part of the revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment